Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Golden Globe Breakdown


The Golden Globes solidified the chances of some Oscar front-runners, and created some confusion with others. With Martin Scorsese's win for Best Director, he can now be considered the front-runner for the Directing Oscar. However, Babel's Globe win for Best Drama only helps its chances of winning the Best Picture prize that has eluded Scorsese for years.

In the major acting acting, categories, all of my predictions were correct: Helen Mirren, Forest Whitaker, Meryl Streep, Sacha Baron Cohen, Jennifer Hudson, and Eddie Murphy. Likewise, my choice for Best Picture (Musical/Comedy) of Dreamgirls was also correct. I did choose The Departed, but it did not necessarily surprise me to see Babel win as it is a worldly film, and after all we are dealing with the Hollywood Foreign Press.

I think Clint Eastwood's win for Letters from Iwo Jima may help him get a Best Picture nod for that film. He may even pick up a directing nod by the Academy as well.

On the television side, I was not quite as correct with my predictions. Let me, however, be very frank about this. The television awards that have been given out, namely the Globes and the Emmys, are grossly incorrect in who they have chosen to honor over the last couple years. It is disappointing to see quality shows such as The Wire be denied the accolades they so richly deserve. When a show like Ugly Betty wins Best Comedy and Best Actress I just cringe and think that these people are losing their minds.

Overall, of the 25 categories in which awards were presented, I was correct 13 times, incorrect 10 times, and I had no idea about two categories. If one only includes the film categories, I was correct 11 times, incorrect once, and I had no idea about two categories. The one category that I got wrong was again the Best Picture (Drama) category. I chose The Departed while Babel was the winner.

Up next....Oscar nomination predicitions

No comments: